Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Very Best Facial I've Ever Had - EVER!


I've had a hard week and now I'm going to treat myself to a steam facial this afternoon. It relaxes me and it opens up my pores for more effective cleansing. It is one of the best facials I've ever had and I do it at home for just a few bucks. It's like a soothing tea for your skin. The peppermint and lavender helps to control the oil, the green tea helps to sooth, and the lemon peel contains citric acid that is used in aha products, rose petals help to soften skin. If you read part 3 of my series on even skin tones, Acne: The Battle is On, when your skin is not exfoliated properly, oil and dead skin cells can collect in and around the pores causing breakouts. The steam helps to loosen debris and dead skin cells.

The ingredients for this facial are easy to find and inexpensive. When I do an at-home facial, I follow up my steam bath with an oatmeal and buttermilk mask. It doesn't smell great, but it works well. Oatmeal is a very good cleanser, it softens the skin and is effective for all skin types. Buttermilk also has AHA properties (lactic acid) which helps sooth the skin and even out the skin tone.

How I Do it:

loose green tea
pure peppermint extract
lavender petals
lemon peel
rose petals (they smell pretty)
very hot water
heavy towel (I like white)

Oatmeal/Buttermilk Mask

I run my oatmeal through my coffee grinder and mix in room temperature buttermilk by the tablespoon until it is a yogurt creamy consistency.

Bring water to a rolling boil, add ingredients, cover and let steep for a couple of minutes. Pour steam bath mixture into a heat-resistant bowl. Position your face over the bowl. Do not put your face too close to the steam it will do its work with your face about 6 inches from the rim of the bowl. Of course I don't have to tell you to close your eyes so you don't get sweat in them. I stay over the steam for about 8-10 minutes. Splash with tepid water, pat dry and follow up with the oatmeal/buttermilk mask. I keep the mask on for about 20 minutes and rinse with tepid water and follow up with a very gentle wash to cleanse the residue.

You can follow this up with your regular skincare regime, i.e., toner/moisturizer. I promise your skin will look a little clearer and feel softer. Try it and let me know how it worked for you.